Conversation starters for summer lessons
In the height of summer, most of the students get into a happy and relaxed state of mind. They dream of going on a well-deserved vacation or want to chill out at home. Discussions on summer topics will create a pleasant and lively atmosphere in your lessons. In the article, we share ready-to-use conversation openers which can be used as warm-ups or fillers for learners of different ages.
A conversation opener is a phrase or a question that is used to begin a talk. They also work really well for breaking the ice and for reserved learners one-on-one. Some of the questions can appear naturally during the lesson. In group classes, the questions are discussed in pairs or mini groups.
- What would be your ideal summer?
- Do you have any plans for summer?
- How do you feel when summer arrives/ finishes?
- What was the most memorable summer vacation that you’ve ever had? What made it so special?
- What is your favourite summer treat?
- What outdoor activities do you prefer in summer? What was your favourite outdoor activity when you were a child?
- What memories of summer from your childhood do you have?
- Do you enjoy having picnics? Do you have any nice picnic spots?
- Do you observe any summer traditions? Could you share some of them?
- What are the 3 things that you like and dislike about the summer?
- Are there any interesting summer festivals or events in your country?
- What summery clothes do you prefer?
- Are there any films that you like watching in summer?
- What TV shows do you plan to see this summer?
- What things can you do only in summer?
- Is this summer different for you because of COVID-19?
- Have you met any new people this summer?
- What would your perfect summer weekend be like?
- Could you recommend some interesting places for spending time at the weekend in your town/city?
- What things inspire you in summer?
- What new experiences would you like to take on this summer?
- Has summer been a busy time for you?
- Do you have a favourite summertime restaurant?
- Do you like watching sunsets in summer? Can you think of any special places to watch sunsets? (e.g. Santorini — Greece, The Maldives, The Grand Canyon — Arizona)
Fun facts discussion
- The smell of freshly cut grass is said to elicit happy memories. Is it true about you?
- Watermelon, tomatoes and peaches outsell all other fruits during the summer in America. Is it true about your country?
- 1816 was the year without a summer in the northern states due to a volcano eruption in 1815. How would you feel if the same happened in your country?
- The most visible meteor shower takes place in August. Do you like stargazing?
- Mosquitoes, summer’s pests, have been around for more than 30 million years. How do you combat these annoying insects?
- If I could travel anywhere in the world in summer, I would go…
- If I had more free time in summer, I’d …
- If it weren’t so hot,…
- If I had more money in summer, I’d…
- If I’m bored in summer, I will…
- If I could make a new ice-cream flavour, it would be…
‘Would you rather’ questions for children/teens
- …go to a summer camp or visit your grandparents in the village?
- …spend summer with your family at the campsite or in a fancy hotel?
- …go river rafting or go water skiing?
- …live on a boat for the summer or live in a treehouse?
- …spend summer on a farm or in the big city?
- …go to a crowded beach or a deserted island?
- …ride a rollercoaster or a waterslide?
- …eat only hamburgers or only watermelons all summer?
- …have a bouncy castle in your backyard or a movie theatre?
- …go to the mountains for the summer or go to the beach?