During winter classes, Christmas and New Year films are virtually begging to fit in your Christmas lesson plan. Since lesson time is limited, here we provide you with a list of short films that will come in handy for boosting your speaking activities during the class.
Check this out as well: Christmas movies for different ages
Christmas Lesson by «Christmas Spirit»
At the beginning of the film, we see two main characters in a cemetery. The elder one is very gloomy standing by the grave of his wife. She died 10 years ago and her son never met his own mother. The boy is funny and smart and cares for his father. He does his best to bring happiness and Christmas spirit into his small family.
- What is Christmas about?
- Name five components that make Christmas magical.
- Do you prefer giving gifts to your friends, relatives or to strangers at Christmas?
- How would you describe the little boy and his father?
- Who was the first person they helped and how?
- How could someone bring Christmas spirit in your opinion?
- Did the ending of the film surprise you? How?
Christmas Lesson by «Giving — A Christmas Story»
This is a very short but incredibly great story which can be used as a warm-up activity. It is about a small girl who gives her own gift to another girl who is homeless and is freezing in the street.
- What is special about Christmas?
- Do you give presents to the poor at Christmas?
- What did the girl’s mother buy for her?
- Who did the girl give her present to and why?
- What would you do if you were her?
- Comment on the statement: “Christmas is less about opening presents and more about opening our hearts”.
Christmas Lesson by «The Lost Letter»
It tells a tale of a young boy who is getting ready for Christmas. However, there is one lady in this neighbourhood who doesn’t want the holiday to come at all. The boy does his best to bring colour to her gloomy world.
- Do people behave differently during Christmas? Do they try to be better?
- What about decorate the outside of your house for Christmas? If so, how? If not, why?
- Do you have a Christmas tree? When do you put it up? When do you take it down? Is it real or artificial?
- What did Henry want to do at Christmas? What difficulties did he face?
- Why did he go to the lady’s house?
- What did Henry do there?
- What did the lady tell Henry?
- Does the lady believe in Santa? Why?
- Why did Henry leave the lady’s house?
- How did the story end?
Christmas Lesson by «Angela’s Christmas»
Angela’s Christmas on netflix.com
If you are not short of time, you can use this cartoon for some lively discussion. It is about a little girl who goes to church on Christmas Eve and takes Baby Jesus from there. She cares for him a lot.
- Do you like watching cartoons at Christmas and New Year? If so, what is your favourite one?
- What cartoons do you prefer — American, European, Russian? Why?
- What is your favourite cartoon?
- Where did Angela steal Baby Jesus?
- What was the weather like on Christmas Eve?
- Why did Angela take baby Jesus with her?
- What do you think the main idea of the cartoon is?
Have you used any short films in your lessons before? Let us know in the comments down below!
Почитайте по теме New Year and Christmas dishes around the world: lesson ideas и, конечно, наш дайджест Рождество со взрослыми и подростками: фильмы, песни, лексика и планы уроков