The lesson plan is based on the materials provided by the Travli.NET foundation. The topic of bullying is traditionally seen as a taboo for discussion during a lesson. Yet, it has always been quite relevant in a context of nationality-based discrimination and oppression.
The lesson seeks to provide not only linguistic but also conceptual value by showing teachers how to build a lesson around a PARSNIP topic that becomes necessary to shed light on at some point. Beyond that, both teachers and students have a chance to fill in their information gap on how to prevent bullying from occurring.
- Worksheet suitable for: B2 to C1 / Upper-intermediate to Advanced
- Number of students: 1-12
- Lesson duration: 40-45 minutes
- Topic: Bullying, discrimination and assertive behaviour
Target skills and sub-skills
- reception — reading for information and argument
- oral production — sustaining a monologue: describing experiences
- interaction: goal-oriented cooperation
- mediating communication — facilitating communication in delicate situations and disagreements
By the end of the lesson, students will have:
- gained awareness of bullying on the basis of nationality, race and ethnicity;
- gained awareness of assertive behaviour as one of the ways to defend one’s boundaries.