Question Formation (Worksheet for Pre-Intermediate level)
Do your ESL students know how to form questions in English? Do they encounter difficulties when picking up the correct auxiliary verb, question word or tense form? If so, the following worksheet will definitely come in handy. The activities introduced in the lesson are suitable for the Pre-Intermediate level. Mind that the worksheet is aimed at revising Question forming in English and not learning. Hence, you can use it only if you have already covered the main topics of question formation with Present, Past and Future Tenses. The activities will help students use correct question forms not only in writing but also speaking.
Task 1. Warm-up
What comes to your mind when you look at these pictures? Work in pairs and ask each other questions concerning the pictures.
1. What is the man wearing?
2. What do you think he is going to do?
3. Where is he standing?
4. Do you think the man has some good news?
Bring your friends and colleagues along! It’s not just English, we teach physics too! Experienced tutors are always welcome at Skysmart.
- What is the secret of success? Could you describe success in three key words?
- Watch the video Secrets of success in 8 words, 3 minutes and compare your answers.
Watch the video Secrets of success in 8 words, 3 minutes again and write the questions to the following answers.
- It all started one day on the plane on my way to TED seven years ago.
- I could not give her a good answer.
- Passion, work, good, focus, push, serve, ideas, persist.
1. How did the speaker start to think about success and make a presentation on it?
2. Why did the speaker feel very bad?
3. What leads to success?
Fill in the gaps to complete the questions. Then answer them.
- ___ is the most successful person you know?
- ___ success important to you?
- What success stories ___ you have about studying English?
- What part ___ luck play in success?
- ___ is your formula or recipe for success?
- ___ you think people focus too much on appearing to be successful?
- What do you think ___ you back from success?
1. Who is the most successful person you know?
2. Is success important to you?
3. What success stories do you have about studying English?
4. What part does luck play in success?
5. What is your formula or recipe for success?
6. Do you think people focus too much on appearing to be successful?
7. What do you think holds you back from success?
Work in pairs. Watch the video Pursuit of Happyness Motivational Speech and come up with 5 questions to ask your classmate based on it. If necessary, you can watch it with subtitles.
Put the words in the correct order. Then answer the questions.
- been there that your have and trying stop failures made
- time is there give a right to up trying and stop
- buy can happiness money
- trying someone be successful can without hard
- do you think it’s important to have goals in life
- what characteristics are the people of successful
- achievement what greatest is your so far in life
- does money success equal
- do everyone you chance life think has a to succeed in
- who to your struggle in family likes
1. Have there been any failures that made your life better?
2. Is there a right time to give up and stop trying?
3. Can money buy happiness?
4. Can someone be successful without trying hard?
5. Do you think it’s important to have goals in life?
6. What are the characteristics of successful people?
7. What is your greatest achievement so far in life?
8. Does money equal success?
9. Do you think everyone has a chance to succeed in life?
10. Who likes to struggle in your family?
We wish you great lessons!