«Work / Making money as a teenager»: план урока английского для 8 класса
Представляем вашему вниманию готовый план урока. Материал подойдет для обучения как на занятии в школе, так и на онлайн-уроке. План урока английского предназначен для учащихся 8 класса, направлен на развитие навыков речи по теме Work / Making money as a teenager (Vocabulary and Grammar). Уровень: Pre-intermediate/Intermediate
Нужны ли подросткам карманные деньги? Хватает ли им? Можно ли зарабатывать, будучи подростком? Давайте обсудим эту тему с учащимися.
- Освоить лексику, относящуюся к теме «Работа».
- Развить коммуникативные навыки, обсуждая опыт работы для подростков.
- Использовать новые слова и грамматическую конструкцию в речи.
- Подведение итогов, образовательные результаты урока.
- Vocabularu practice
- Reading and discussing
- Grammar practice
- Cool down
- Sum up
На этом этапе урока учитель погружает учащихся в проблему, переключает их деятельность в обсуждение темы урока.
- Do teenagers always have pocket money?
- Do you get upset if you want to buy something, but you don’t have enough money for it?
- Would you like to have part-time work?
- Is it hard to find a well-paid job for a teenager?
In my childhood when I was little, I wanted to be a _____. (a firefighter, a doctor, a teacher)
I think this job is interesting / boring / dangerous / well-paid because …
I want to become a _____. (an IT specialist, a developer, a blogger) I’d like to have this profession because …
2. Lead in
Учащиеся получили информацию о теме урока, а учитель продолжает вовлекать их в коммуникативную деятельность.
Let us read a message from a teenager who has similar problems.
My name is John, I’m 13.
I am so miserable as I do not have enough pocket money if I want to buy something. My parents do not always give it to me. I think I should earn money myself and look for job opportunities but I do not know where to start. Can you help me?
- What is John’s problem?
- What should we do?
Today at the lesson we are going to learn the vocabulary related to money and discuss some business ideas.
Let’s move on to learn some new words and expressions.
Вам могут пригодиться и другие планы уроков для школьников:
3. Vocabulary presentation and practice
Учитель представляет новую лексику, необходимую для развития речи, представляет разные виды упражнений.
1. Let’s pronounce the words together (drill the pronunciation)
- Do you know any of these words?
- Can you explain their meaning?
2. Let us read definitions and match with words
a salary, savings, a well-paid job, pocket money, to afford something, to live on a tight budget, short of cash
- a fixed amount of money usually paid to a worker every month
- not having enough
- not having much money
- an amount of money that parents regularly give to their child
- the money you keep and do not waste
- if you are paid a lot of money for this
- to be able to buy or to do smth because you have enough money or time
3. Match the haves of collocations
to live — unnecessary
short — on a tight budget
a well-paid — money
pocket — job
to afford — a salary every month
a low-paid — job
to get — a luxury trip
4. Guess a word, unscramble it
5. Let us complete these sentences with needed words
|If you get money at the end of the month for the work you have done, you get||pocket money.|
|If you have enough money to buy IPhone 14, it means, you can||short of cash|
|If you want to hang out with friends in a bowling club, you can ask your parents to give you some||afford it.|
|If you can’t buy expensive or not necessary things, it means you are||a well-paid job.|
|If you are a SEO of company, you have||savings.|
|If you don’t have enough money, you are||on a tight budget.|
|If you keep money and put it aside not wasting it on small unnecessary things, you can say you have||a salary.|
6. Complete the questions and answer them
- Have you ever been on a t_____ b_____?
- How often do you get p_____ m_____ from your parents?
- What do people usually do when they are s_____ of c_____?
- Is it important to have s_____? Why (not)?
- What do you usually do when you need to buy something but can’t a_____ it?
7. Let us translate the sentences from Russian into English
- У подростков нет опыта работы, их зарплата невысокая.
- Нам приходится жить не на широкую ногу, так как я потерял работу.
- Вы чувствуете себя уверенно, когда у вас есть сбережения.
- У моего друга недостаточно наличных, чтобы купить билет на автобус.
- В будущем я бы хотел иметь хорошо оплачиваемую работу, чтобы позволить себе путешествовать.
You can also discuss.
- Should parents give their children pocket money?
- Do you have savings?
- If you found a wallet with money, what would you do?
- What would you like to afford to buy if you have your own salary?
4. Reading about teenager’s working experience
Let us read two stories how teenagers found work and got work experience.
I didn’t know what to do to get some work experience. So, I spoke to my aunt, who is the owner of a shop. So I worked part-time there helping to arrange goods on the shelves. I worried and wasn’t sure I would be able to do the work. But all the staff helped me a lot and explained well. I learnt a lot of interesting things and know how a shop works from inside. I think that it was really important for me to get work experience because, thus, you can understand what employees actually do.
I could not find any work during my summer holidays but all my neighbors know that I love pets so much. Every morning I walk my dog because I am a very responsible person. Some neighbors are very busy and do not have time to walk their dogs long enough. Others had holidays and did not have anyone to take care of their pets. There are also senior people who need some help with their pets. So, I did volunteer job but all people were kind to me and thanked me with some pocket money. So I saved enough to buy a new smartphone. I was helpful and not lazy. This work experience I got gave me some business ideas for future.
A. Who said it?
- I worked part-time. (M)
- I did volunteer job. (P)
- You can understand what employees actually do. (M)
- This work experience gave me some business ideas for future. (P)
- I saved enough money. (P)
B. Answer True / False
- Mary’s mum is the owner of the shop. (F)
- Mary helped to arrange goods on the shelves. (T)
- Mary did not understand what employees do in the shop. (F)
- Peter earned money walking dogs of neighbors. (T)
- Peter spent all money on ice-cream and cinema. (F)
- Peter does not have any ideas for future. (F)
C. Answer the questions.
- Where did Mary work?
- Where did Peter work?
- Did Mary like her experience? Was it useful? Why?
- Did Peter earn enough? What did he buy?
- Are these children responsible? Are they lazy? Did they spend their summer productively?
4.1 Discussing of job opportunities for teenagers
To taste ice-cream
To stand in a I queue
A pusher (bungee jumping)
To go shopping
To deliver goods
To walk the dogs
A body part model
- What do these people do? What are their responsibilities?
- What other job opportunities do you know?
- What are advantages of working as a teenager? (to have your own money, learning something new, meeting new people, getting experience, spending time interestingly)
- What can motivate teenagers to start working? (a dream, short of cash, wish to save for future, wish to help parents, to have own pocket money, charity)
Советуем и эти материалы:
Новая информация о разнице и связи значений этих слов.
Let us have a look at three words: Job/ Work/Career
A job is a regular and official activity that you do and earn money from.
It is also called a profession or an occupation.
You can have a full-time job or a part-time job.
The word «work» is more general than «job». It refers to general efforts and activities you do to reach a goal.
The word «work» also refers to the context of a place of employment.
We also use the word «work» as a verb in a context to do something as part of a job. We use it as a noun.
I start work at 7 am. (not
I start my job at 7 am.)
I usually work from 10 am to 6 pm.
A career is the total progression of a person’s professional life.
You can have a career in a field.
John has a career in politics.
A) Sort collocations.
B) Fill in the gaps.
- I start _____ at 9 o’clock.
- He gets _____ twice a month.
- My friend has a _____ in medicine. He is a famous doctor.
- My parents never finish _____ in time. They always overwork.
- All teenagers dream about well-paid _____ in future to be successful in life.
- Some students have a part-time _____ because they study.
- This footballer has got a brilliant _____. He is one of the most expensive players in the world.
6. Grammar practice
Учитель может потренировать грамматическую конструкцию с учащимися, а далее показать связь с реальной речью и как применить ее в коммуникации.
Do you remember the difference between the first and second conditionals?
If you don’t come to the party, I won’t come too.
2. The second conditional describes imaginary or improbable situations in the present and future.
If you enjoyed going to parties, we could organize one.
1. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs
- If I (to be) you, I (to study) hard to pass the exams.
- He (can / to enter) university if he (to pass) exams well.
- I (may / to get) a promotion if I (to work) overtime.
- If teenagers (can / to work), they (to earn) enough for education.
- If my parents (to give) me pocket money, I (to save) for my dream.
2. Say your ideas, how would you act?
- If you got enough pocket money.
- If you had a nice job offer.
- If you had savings.
- If you had a part-time job.
3. Read the job descriptions and finish the sentences about you
- If I were a pet food tester, _____.
- If I were an ice cream tester, _____.
- If I were a president, _____.
- If I were a doctor, _____.
- If I were an architect, _____.
4. Translate from Russian into English
- Если бы я нашел работу, я бы зарабатывал деньги.
- Если бы подросткам можно было иметь неполную занятость, родителям не нужно было бы давать карманные деньги.
- Если бы ему дарили деньги, у него было бы достаточно сбережений.
- Если бы у меня была зарплата, я смог бы накопить на телефон.
7. Cool down
So, let us sum up. Is it important to have job experience? What job opportunities do teenagers have nowadays? Is it possible to find work if you are a teenager? What words are new for you? Give their definitions.
Еще материалы к тематическому уроку:
8. Sum up
Now I can:
- speak about jobs for teenagers;
- use the Second Conditional;
- see the difference between job and work.
В результате этого урока студенты освоят лексику, связанную с работой. Материал поможет понимать тексты и разовьет навыки говорения на тему важности денег, опыта работы и возможностях заработка для подростков, используя Second Conditional.
Успехов вам и вашим студентам!